Looking at the efforts that go into hiring the right candidate, recruitment can be a demanding, challenging, yet the most rewarding process. When you are hiring remotely, the challenges increase and can directly affect the productivity, output, and the growth of your organization.
To make the remote hiring process as efficient and effective as the normal recruitment process, we have enlisted a few rules that you can follow:
- Be Available: Prompt responses and actions will keep the candidates engaged in the recruitment process. It may mean that you would have to stay alert for longer, but it would also help your recruitment process.
- Have a Recruitment Strategy in Place: Design a recruitment strategy. Just because you are recruiting remotely, does not mean you can allow the process to be haphazard. In fact, in remote recruitment, you need the process to be more structured and it should help you manage your time while maintaining consistency, and giving the desired output.
- Understand What Your Hiring Manager and Your Organization Needs: Often, hiring managers and recruiters are not on the same page and while working remotely, which is why the gap increases. Set up a time-line for follow-ups. Establish good communication practices so that your work stays aligned and the recruitment process becomes effective.
- Be Clear About the Skills: Most recruiters focus on the job role while recruiting and compromise on skills such as communication skills and soft skills. Especially when recruiting for a tech job, it is also important that you focus on the soft skills of the candidate, as soft skills determine the success. Being clear about the skills you need, helps in designing the assessment and the interview process.
- Be Clear About the Job Roles: When recruiters put an advertisement, they usually do not mention the important things either about the interview or the job role and end up answering too many calls from the candidates. This can delay your interview process. Give a clear job description and functions you are hiring for. Also, be clear about the interview process in the job advertisement to avoid queries and calls from the confused candidates.
- Be Clear With Advertisement: when you design an advertisement, see that it is engaging and suitable to be posted on all platforms such as social media, print media, and job portals. Do not miss out on important information in the process of being creative. It is the clarity of the information that catches the attention of the candidates. Showcase the growth opportunities in your advertisement
- Use Data Analytics to Find the Best Candidates: Data analytics helps in passive recruitment. Searching for candidates manually could be a tedious process that can be resolved if you know how to use software for recruitment.
- Assess Accurately: Another thing recruiters waste time on is drafting an assessment. Instead, they could just use online skill assessment tools like imocha to assess a large number of candidates and speed up the recruitment process. It also makes your recruitment process unbiased, which is another thing candidate fear when they are interviewing remotely.
- Interview Effectively: When you interview a candidate on a video call, ensure that you have made sufficient arrangements and drafted the questions you would be asking. An unplanned interview could be very time consuming and unproductive in terms of assessing soft skills.
- Understand the Needs of Candidates: A lot of recruiters do not focus on the needs and issues of the candidates as long as they fulfill the requirements of the company. As a recruiter, the requirements of candidates should be just as important to you as the requirements of the organization. Your promptness and interest will keep the candidates engaged and increase employee retention.
- Smooth Onboarding and Good Training Programs: More often than not, candidates are more focused on the learning and work experience you have to offer than the package and perks. Make sure you have a good onboarding process in place even while hiring remotely. Ensure a thorough background check is done and do not hire someone out of desperation or hurry. After you are done with onboarding, conduct a training program so that the candidate understands the brand, company culture, and adapts to the company values easily.
Make sure your remote hiring plan is agile and can be modified as per the needs of the candidate and the organization. Improvise your strategy constantly to bring better candidates onboard.