Blue Prism is an intelligent enterprise tool highly sought after by most businesses. To hire a developer with practical work experience and the ability to handle the tool, recruiters must know about Blue Prism.
Often the case is companies task recruiters to hire candidates on short notice. Knowledge of the technology and asking the right Blue Prism interview questions will help you successfully assess the candidates’ skills.
Plus, there's a limited pool of Blue Prism developers. You may not find the right fit candidate from it. You might need to widen your search and find candidates with transferable skills with an interest in Blue Prism.
For all this to happen, you must ask the right questions to gauge candidates for the job. Here are 71 Blue Prism interview questions and answers to ask developers of any level.
These questions will help you find a candidate with the right skill and temperament.
Blue Prism Interview Questions for Experienced Developers
The following are Blue Prism interview questions and answers for experienced candidates. These questions will help assess the candidate’s technical knowledge and work experience.
1. What is a work queue in Blue Prism?
Work Queue in Blue Prism helps model the queue, lock, and report work items. It enables a process to manage its workload.
2. What is an environment variable in Blue Prism?
An environment variable is a read-only data item available for processes and business objects. The data is easily changeable without using the process or object.
3. What is a process flow in Blue Prism?
In Blue Prism, exceptions bubble up to the main page, that is, an exception that occurred on Page 3 will not remain on page 3. It moves to the Main Page at the upper hierarchy, where a recovery logic handles the exception.
4. State the differences between a process and an object studio?
A workspace to create a process
A workspace to create a VBO (Visual Business Object)
Interacts with object studio and control room
Interacts with external applications only
The alert stage is available in the process studio
It contains read, write, navigate, and code functions
Does not contain Launch and Application Modeller
Launch and Application Modeller is available
5. What is a 'process template' in Blue Prism?
Templates in Blue Prism act as blueprints for all processes created on the platform. A process template allows developers to automate processes quickly, and they need not add basic activities and structures every time.
The template streamlines the work process and enables easy process creation and configuration.
6. What is a collection in Blue Prism?
A group of items is known as a collection in Blue Prism. A collection retrieves a large amount of data from a business object in a single transaction.
7. Explain Multi-part processes.
Processes that occur when a case is to be worked by multiple parts at different times are known as Multi-part processes.
8. What is the difference between an environment and a session variable?
All processes and objects can access Environment Variables, while the session variable is available only for a running process. We can change values for a session variable on the go.
9. What is a global send key event in Blue Prism?
A global send key event is a surface automation interface. It mimics keyboard keystrokes in the Operating System.
10. How do you secure sensitive data in Blue Prism?
Blue Prism has thorough data encryption and elaborate checks to access and manipulate data.
11. What is a credential manager in Blue Prism?
Ans. It is a secure repository for login credentials. All the details in the repository are encrypted. It allows for a secure login into applications and prevents the reuse of credentials.
12. What are the various types of exceptions?
System exceptions and business exceptions are the two types of exceptions.
- System Exception - an error due to an issue with a system.
- Business exception - a business rule created specifically to stop a task.
13. What is a release manager in Blue Prism?
It is an interface to create, delete, and review packages. It can also create, import and verify releases. A release is a file that contains all the contents of a package.
14. What is the difference between Blue Prism and other RPA tools?
Blue Prism, Automation Anywhere, and UiPath are the most popular RPA tools. Blue Prism requires some programming basics to manage business objects.
It is a visual designer. We can access the tool only through applications. Blue Prism has a client-server architecture.
15. What is a log viewer in Blue Prism?
It is a way to track a problem and review work progress in sessions. Log viewer facilitates viewing stage IDs, searching, and exporting logs.
Wondering how to identify critical skills for organizational growth? Talk to our experts to learn how we enable Capgemini, Cognizant, TCS, Fujitsu and other global organizations to do so!
Blue Prism Interview Questions for Developers with 10+ Years' Experience
The following are Blue Prism interview questions and answers for candidates with 10+ years of experience.
1. How does Blue Prism handle unstructured data?
If an Intelligent Document Processor (IDP) like Decipher is added to Blue Prism, it can handle unstructured data.
2. How do you debug a Blue Prism process?
Blue Prism has a debug toolbar that simulates the execution of a business process or a business object. It has three debugging techniques.
- Step Over
- Step Out
3. What is a business object in Blue Prism?
A business object is a means to interact with an external system from a process studio. A series of actions can be called from a process using business objects.
For example, if a customer’s data needs to be updated in a mainframe, a business object is created in the object studio with the action, say, update customer name.
The business object interacts with the mainframe in its programming language and acts.
4. What are the different run modes in Blue Prism?
Executable, Foreground, Background.
5. What do you need to initialise and cleanup in Object Studio?
These are two automatic and compulsory actions. An initialise page is called when an object is created. It carries out maintenance operations before an object is run.
The cleanup action is called when an object’s parent process ends. It is primarily to close operations of resources that run along with the business object.
6. What is the preserve checkbox in Blue Prism?
It disables Exception Type and Exception Details in Blue Prism. When the Preserve checkbox is selected, the Exception is released without providing additional details. The Preserve checkbox is used in Recovery Mode.
7. What is the significance of a Scheduler?
It schedules tasks to run at specific times and repeats the execution at intervals. It is part of Blue Prism Server Service.
8. What is environment locking in Blue Prism?
Environment locks restrict access to resources or critical sections until the lock is released. Only a single bot can use the environment while the environment is in a lock.
9. Mention a few ways Blue Prism secures an application?
The platform provides three ways:
- User - Assign information about new users.
- Credentials - Stores confidential information.
- Options - Allows you to lay out rules for setting passwords.
10. What are connectors in Blue Prism?
Connectors provide low-level interactions with external applications. Blue Prism has the following connector options:
- HTML connector
- Java connector
- Windows connector
- Mainframe connector
- Citrix connector
11. What do you mean by thin-client?
A thin-client is an application that restricts access to quality attributes of the application when spying with an RPA tool.
We can access a thin-client application only through region mode. Examples of thin-client apps include Citrix apps, Oracle applications, etc.
12. How can you stop a process in Control Room?
This is done by selecting process session or clicking stop session. The process is stopped immediately.
13. What is the purpose of a calendar?
When a robot is created, a calendar is used to schedule its work.
14. What are Blue Prism tiles?
Blue Prism tiles are akin to libraries where we can see workforce availability, work handling time, etc. The data is represented either in charts, graphs, or other visual representations.
15. What is SDD (Solution Design Document)?
It is a high-end design report that shows how to implement an automated solution. An SDD is generated for each business process automated by an RPA.
Blue Prism Interview Questions for Developers with 5+ Years' Experience
Candidates with 5+ years of experience will have enough knowledge and experience to answer the following Blue Prism Interview Questions.
1. Explain what is process validation.
Process validation is for diagnosing issues. It categorizes issues into errors, warnings, or advice and identifies actions necessary to resolve them.
2. What is an attach option in Blue Prism?
The attach option identifies an application that is currently running. We must enter the Process name or Window title to identify the application.
3. What are the various stages of object studio?
Navigate stage, Read stage, Write stage, Code stage, and Wait stage.
4. What do you know about Application Modeller?
It is an object studio feature used to create application models. It enables us to run Blue Prism and target applications side-by-side and teach Object Studio about the target application’s features.
“Add Element” in the Application Modeller allows us to let Object Studio know about the new feature of the target application.
5. What is the recovery mode in Blue Prism?
It is the middle stage between Recover and Resume Mode. If an exception occurs during the recovery mode, the process terminates; the exception will then pass to the next level.
6. What are the different types of Queue items?
7. How many times can we run a process in a session?
We can run a process only once per session. To run a process again, we need to create a new session.
8. What is an OID?
An operational Impact Document (OID) informs the client operation team about the successful solution implementation and the change that occurred because of the solution.
9. What is the difference between Resume and a Recover?
- Resume - Continue after a pause.
- Recovery - To get something back.
11. Why do we need Dynamic Match Type?
Dynamic Match Type identifies the value of an attribute from the diagram.
12. What are the tags in Blue Prism?
Tags are keywords assigned to work queue items in Blue Prism.
13. What are global data items?
Global data items are visible on all pages, whereas local data items are visible only on their pages.
14. Can we publish a process to the control room?
Yes. Opening the process information box on the main page and checking the “Publish this Process to Control Room” box will publish a process to the control room.
15. What are wildcards?
Wildcards help with fuzzy matching in text.
Wondering how to hire niche roles? Start with creating custom assessments that match your job description exactly with iMocha!
Blue Prism Interview Questions for Freshers
The following are Blue prism interview questions and answers to ask freshers. These questions will also help identify candidates interested in Blue Prism who can be trained to become Blue Prism developers.
1. What do you know about Robotic Process Automation (RPA)?
RPA is a software technology that enables us to build software bots that interact with digital systems to mimic human actions.
The technology automates business processes by performing complex tasks with 100% efficiency and around the clock.
2. What is Blue Prism?
Blue Prism is an RPA tool that provides a digital workforce (bots) to automate complex business processes.
3. What is the difference between process automation and robotic automation?
In process automation, various processes are automated using software. Robotic automation deploys software robots that mimic human actions to automate processes.
4. Explain the best features of Blue Prism.
- 24x7 workforce.
- Execution intelligence - The tool can be trained to execute business priorities, respond to changes, resource allocation, etc.
- Enhance data security and abstraction.
- Secure and accurate - The tool can execute any number of processes.
- Advanced Analytics.
- Cloud support.
5. How many components are there in Blue Prism, and what are they?
- Process studio
- Object studio
- Control room
- Release manager
6. What are the various RPA lifecycle stages?
- Discovery phase.
- Solution design phase.
- Development phase.
- User acceptance tests.
- Development and maintenance phase.
- Execute bots.
7. What are the advantages of using Blue Prism?
- A highly secure cloud platform with site-to-site VPN, embedded auditing, ISO27001, HIPAA standard testing, etc.
- Intelligent automation with preconfigured and custom digital workers, task mining and process mining, intelligent document processing, etc.
- Human-robot interactivity to train, manage and continuously enhance the performance of the digital workforce.
8. What are the disadvantages of using Blue Prism?
- Lack of community support.
- Less integration with excel.
- Complex API integration.
- Unable to automate non-standard processes.
9. What is the significance of the Queue manager in Blue Prism?
It is used to manage items in a queue. Actions like pausing or resuming the queue, marking the exceptions, or deleting items are done with the Queue manager.
10. Explain exception handling in Blue Prism.
Blue Prism generates exceptions when mistakes occur. Exception handling is the automatic management of exceptions.
The exceptions are either fixed automatically, system administrators quickly identify and resolve them, or the exceptions are forwarded for human completion.
11. What do you know about Object Studio in Blue Prism?
Object studio creates Visual Business Objects (VBO) that provide an interface to interact with external applications.
12. What does Process Studio do in Blue Prism?
It is a vital part of Blue Prism. Process Studio enables creating, editing, and testing business processes. Part of it involves features like object calls, business logic, control loops, and variables.
13. Name the different spy modes in Blue Prism.
HTML Mode, Win32 mode, Accessibility mode, and Region mode.
14. What data types does Blue Prism support?
Date, Time, DateTime, Name, Flag, Image, text, Password, timespan, and binary.
15. What is Control Room?
The Control Room in Blue Prism is the key administrative point. It controls, executes, monitors, and schedules processes for dispersed bots.
Blue Prism Interview Questions to Assess Soft Skills
While technical questions help gauge the subject knowledge, the following interview questions will assess the candidate for communication, teamwork, problem-solving, and other interpersonal skills.
1. Explain the projects you have previously worked on.
As the candidate explains the projects, ask about their roles and responsibilities on those projects. You can gauge the candidate's keenness to work on diverse projects and the ability to take on a challenge.
2. What was your approach while working in your previous company?
This is a broad behavioral question. It will help assess the candidate’s communication skills, team working ability, planning, and time management.
3. What challenges did you overcome while implementing a project?
This question is meant to assess the candidate’s problem-solving skills.
4. How do you resolve a disagreement with your colleague?
In any profession, disagreements are bound to happen. How the candidate handles the situation tells a lot about their character.
5. How do you manage your workload?
Expect the candidate to respond by prioritizing important tasks, setting clear deadlines, and taking help when necessary.
6. Is goal setting necessary? If so, what is your approach?
This question will help you know about the candidate's approach to goal-setting, which in turn suggests the working style of the candidate.
7. What negative feedback did you receive in your previous job, and how did you respond to it?
The question helps assess the candidate’s growth mindset and how well the candidate accepts constructive criticism.
8. How would you respond to an unresponsive colleague?
As an HR manager, you would like to hire a candidate with high Emotional Intelligence (EI). Gauge the candidate’s response accordingly.
9. Tell me about an instance where you took a creative and unusual approach to solve a problem. Also, explain why it was unusual.
This question is specifically meant to measure the creative instincts of the candidate.
10. Share an instance where you made an unpopular decision at work and how you handled it.
The question is meant to test the decision-making skills of the candidate.
11. Tell me about a time that you planned a project. Did it go according to the plan? If not, what countermeasures did you take?
This question will assess the candidate’s planning, prioritizing, and time management abilities.
Leverage iMocha to Hire the Top Candidates
Conducting a technical interview when you might not be that familiar with the technology is daunting. This is where iMocha can help.
iMocha's skill test assessment for Blue Prism can assist you in screening candidates for a Blue Prism developer job - you need not prepare any questions for the test.
The online test contains questions created by experienced subject matter experts, giving you the advantage of hiring a Blue Prism developer even without domain knowledge.
The test assesses a candidate’s practical knowledge along with subject knowledge. iMocha's repository has questions on varied difficulty levels to assess experienced and fresher candidates.
Another advantage of using iMocha’s intelligent testing platform is you can conduct technical tests on short notice. Select Blue Prism assessment from the iMocha's skills library, schedule the test, assign the candidates, and get results instantly. Forward only the best suitable candidates for the interview stage.
The platform enables you to set the difficulty level, add custom questions, or test different skills of a candidate. You can also determine qualifying parameters to filter the best candidates. After the test, you can conduct a live interactive interview with iMocha’s Live Coding Interview (LCI) tool.
From enabling collaborative interviews to providing Blue Prism interview questions to ask, iMocha’s LCI is versatile. It reduces interview times by eliminating written feedback and automating time-consuming processes.
What are the main components of Blue Prism?
There are four main components of Blue Prism - Process Studio, Object Studio, Control Room, and Release Manager.
What is Blue Prism used for?
Blue Prism is a Robotic Process Automation (RPA) tool that creates software bots to carry out routine complex business processes. Process automation allows enterprises to improve operational efficiency and become agile.
Which data type is not used in Blue Prism?
Only Flag, number, text, Date, DateTime, Time, image, Binary, TimeSpan, and password are available data types in Blue Prism. All other data types are invalid.
You know why Fortune 500 and global enterprises trust us? Because we help reduce their costs to hire by 60%, time to hire by 50%, and improve the quality of hires!