Are you planning to hire PL SQL developers for your organization? If yes, you came to the right place. Here is an ultimate guide on how to hire PL SQL developers in 2023.
Designed by Oracle Corporation, PL/SQL is a Procedural Language for SQL, used as a powerful database programming language. It combines the power of SQL (Structured Query Language) and procedural statements for faster processing.
If you are to use an Oracle database for application development, PL/SQL makes your life easy. It helps build secure, high-performing, and easy-to-manage applications.
PL SQL is also a portable language you can use to write an application to run on other databases.
What Does a PL SQL Developer Do?
An Oracle PL SQL developer designs, creates, and manages databases. They are tasked with creating database tables and DB queries and developing functions for data extraction, mapping, and testing.
They code PL SQL units like packages, functions, and procedures to use by applications. The developers are also responsible for monitoring and testing application performance.
PL SQL developers work alongside IT developers, data analysts, and project managers to document everything regarding application design and ensure proper evaluation of it.
Why Do Companies Need To Hire Pl SQL Developers?
Companies hire PL SQL developers to manage their databases. They ensure a company's business data is stored securely, retrieved quickly, and optimally maintained in a database.
They use expertise in PL SQL to handle the entire database needs of the company.
Pl SQL Developer – Different Types of Roles In a Team
Depending on the job role, you may hire PL SQL developers from the following categories:
1. Entry-level PL SQL developer: An entry-level PL SQL developer has a basic knowledge of PL SQL and is new to the field. They have the necessary qualification - a computer science degree or a certificate course in PL/SQL, but little experience in practical knowledge. Generally, entry-level PL SQL developers are hired to support the existing team.
2. Mid-level PL SQL developer: A mid-level PL SQL developer has several years of work experience and is skilled in writing complex queries, stored procedures, and functions. Generally, the role of a mid-level PL SQL developer involves implementing code change, building preparation and release of the application, updating and maintaining the database, and testing the developed codes.
3. Senior PL SQL developer: A senior PL SQL developer is an experienced professional with many years of experience in PL SQL. They have a deep understanding of database design and management. Their experience and expertise aid in the overall maintenance of Databases, creating and maintaining source code, and preparing technical documents, among others.
4. PL SQL database administrator (DBA): A PL SQL DBA is responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining databases. They also monitor performance and troubleshoot issues related to the database. Their key role is to ensure data security, create a data backup, and conduct performance tuning.
5. PL SQL analyst: A PL SQL analyst is responsible for data analyzing and developing reports using PL SQL. They understand the business needs and design scripts, run database commands, carry out data integration, perform data cleaning, frame queries, etc.
6. PL SQL programmer: A PL SQL programmer writes code using the PL SQL language. Their role is to develop applications that interact with databases, and another responsibility is testing and debugging their code.
7. PL SQL consultant: A PL SQL consultant works independently. They aid an organization by providing advice and support. They further help with database design, performance tuning, or developing custom applications.
Hiring time for niche roles skyrocketing? Use iMocha and create custom skills assessment to hire job-fit candidates and reduce time to hire by 50%
Steps For Hiring Pl SQL Developers
The process to hire Oracle PL SQL developers is easy. Begin by understanding the need to hire a developer, put an attractive job description, and call for applications.
Here are some essential steps to hire PL SQL developers:
Ascertain the Hiring Needs of the Company
To hire PL SQL developers of high quality, first, determine the role the developer needs to fulfill in the company. It depends on the project scope, available budget, and timeline.
For a long-term project, a dedicated developer would be the right option. If you want to hire someone to assist in planning and strategizing, a consultant will be the right choice.
If cost is a consideration, hiring remote talent is the best option.
Create a Job Description
Develop a job description that outlines the skills, experience, and qualifications required for the PL SQL developer position. Keep it concise to attract the best talent.
The job description must include the company’s expectations of the candidate and the project or specific work the developer is being hired for.
Further, the job description should specify the duties and responsibilities of the developer. Then it must stipulate the skills, qualifications, and work experience required for the job.
Once the description is ready, post the job advertisement on job boards, career websites, social media platforms, etc. If you plan to hire from remote locations, consider hiring a recruitment agency to find suitable candidates.
Or subscribe to a talent acquisition platform and reach out to candidates.
Determine the Salary Range
As of 2023, an entry-level Oracle PL SQL developer commands a salary of $100,106 per year. The average annual salary is $115,000. Experienced developers earn up to $135,000 per year.
If you want to hire PL SQL developers from countries like India, the per annum salary range is around $6,733 and $8,079. And it might vary depending on the developer’s experience.
Now, depending on the job specification and expertise level you need, determine an attractive salary range to hire the best PL SQL developers.
Choose Between Local and Remote Talent
The developer can be a consultant or a full-time employee. It can be a local talent or a remote worker. There are three methods to go about employing a PL SQL developer.
The on-site or office working method is advantageous if you want a developer to work directly with the clients. Local talent is best-suitable for the job.
They make communication easy, and you can choose a candidate fitting your company’s culture. Moreover, you can have oversight over the employee. The second method is to hire a remote employee for offshore work.
You can hire freelance PL SQL developers from offshore regions and keep your costs low. But, communication, availability, work culture, and work standards may vary, making it a risky choice. Give careful thought when hiring a remote developer.
The last method is the hybrid method. It is a compromise between office working and remote methods. In this, you will have two teams for on-site and off-site work, each handling various tasks according to their strengths.
Where Can You Source The PL SQL Developers?
The best places to look for PL SQL developers are:
- Job boards
- Career websites
- Social media - LinkedIn
- Freelancing portals - UpWork, Fiverr, Toptal
- Talent acquisition platforms - iMocha, Turing
- Recruitment agencies
How Can You Screen And Assess The PL SQL Developers?
Once you receive applications, shortlist the candidates based on their resumes, cover letters, and any additional information they provide.
But, do mind that unconscious bias is a problem and resumes are not the right tools to assess a candidate. Subsequently, you can narrow your search for the best developers by conducting a technical screening test.
High-quality assessment tests are capable of filtering out less-skilled candidates. Using reliable coding simulators will help assess the essential coding skills of candidates.
After further shortening the candidates' list, schedule interviews for the final assessment. You can use telephone, video calls, and in-person interviews. But, to hire PL SQL developers with the right skills, live coding interviews are the best.
An efficient live coding interview platform will give you control over the interview, thoroughly monitor live coding sessions, collaborate with other interviewers, and keep the candidate engaged.
If a live coding interview platform consists of AI-LogicBox, it helps assess functional skills and coding prowess.
With AI-LogicBox, the platform generates a code with practical problems to solve instead of bogging down the candidate by asking them to write a code from scratch.
During the interview, ask questions that assess the candidate's PL SQL knowledge, experience, and problem-solving skills. Also, ask specific questions to evaluate soft skills.
Once you have identified a suitable candidate, make a job offer that includes the salary, benefits, and other relevant details.
Wondering how to get your candidates to take assessments? Make them fun! Use iMocha's Coding-in-the-blanks, patented tool to create a holistic experience for your candidates and save time!
Skills To Look For In a Pl SQL Developer
Before you hire PL SQL developers, know what qualifications and skills are essential in a developer.
- A bachelor's degree in computer science
- A professional certificate in Oracle PL SQL
- Experience in writing code
1. Excellent command over PL SQL programming language: A good PL SQL developer should have a strong understanding of the PL SQL programming language, including the syntax, blocks, packages, data types, and control structures. They must have proficiency in writing structured queries.
2. Experience in database design and management: PL SQL developers predominantly work with databases. A good developer should have experience designing and managing databases, including creating tables, views, and indexes. The developer must have a thorough understanding of Oracle databases and associated tools, also excellent skills in writing database statements.
3. Performance tuning: SQL performance tuning is an essential skill in a developer. It enables them to identify, monitor and correct SQL statements for optimal performance. The developer must also have experience using SQL tuning tools like SQL tuning advisor, Automatic Database Diagnostic Monitor (ADDM), etc.
4. Problem-solving skills: The developer should be able to identify and solve complex problems related to databases and PL SQL programming.
5. Attention to detail: PL SQL developers should be meticulous and pay attention to detail when creating database objects and writing code.
When you hire Oracle PL SQL developers, check for the following soft skills:
- Communication skills: The developer works in a team and must convey issues, share ideas, and provide solutions to team members. Also, they need to communicate with project managers and business stakeholders. Good communication skills are thus essential.
- Adaptability: A PL SQL developer must have the ability to respond rapidly to evolving thoughts, responsibilities, strategies, and technologies.
- Time Management skills: Time management is an essential skill in a developer. It shows the developer’s ability to achieve results in desired time. Time management involves organizing work, prioritizing tasks, setting goals, planning, delegating work, and being flexible.
- Accountability: An acceptable individual will own up to the actions of the individual and the team. The person owns up to the consequences or rewards of the action. Accountability drives team cohesiveness and responsible working.
You know why Fortune 500 and global enterprises trust us? Because we help reduce their costs to hire by 60%, time to hire by 50%, and improve the quality of hires!
Challenges HR Managers Face While Hiring
Technical hiring is a challenging process. HR managers often face the following challenges.
- Finding a suitable PL SQL developer for a job role is a huge challenge for HR managers. It is estimated that between 2018 and 2028, PL SQL jobs will grow by 21%. But, the availability of developers in the market is low.
- Identifying qualified candidates from resumes is a hurdle if the recruiter has less knowledge of PL SQL programming language.
- Screening and assessing qualified candidates is another challenge. What kind of questions to ask, how to check coding skills, what parameters to set to identify the best-skilled candidate, etc., are HR managers’ dilemmas.
- While calling candidates for an interview is easy. But, keeping the candidate engaged to follow through with the hiring process is a challenge. A deserving candidate might drop off, feeling the selection process is tedious.
- Assessing coding skills in an interview is another big challenge for HR managers, especially with remote candidates. A reliable tool will come in handy.
Conclusion: Get The Best Hiring Support With iMocha!
iMocha is one of the few talent acquisition platforms that help hire quality talent speedily. For all the challenges you may face during hiring, iMocha offers the perfect solution.
Our intelligent hiring platform builds a strong recruitment funnel enabling you to hire PL SQL developers of high skills. The platform helps create the perfect job description to attract candidates.
iMocha helps shortlist prospects using resumes. The tool accurately identifies specific terms and keywords related to PL SQL for shortlisting. It also masks demographic details for bias-free selection.
The various screening tests related to PL SQL and Oracle Database in our Skills Test Library will help you set up a skills test and schedule it on short notice. You need not worry about the test quality.
Experienced Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) prepared the test questions following industry standards. We understand that setting evaluation parameters is a challenge for HR managers.
iMocha offers a solution in the form of talent benchmarking. It makes evaluation simple and effective. A thorough candidate feedback mechanism offers deep insights into a candidate’s performance.
You can use the feedback reports to make informed decisions. Our live coding interview feature with AI-LogicBox is perfect for assessing practical skills in real-time.
Once you make the final selection, the platform also helps you to smoothly onboard the employee to the organization and provide live training.
iMocha is the solution you are seeking for all your hiring challenges. Try iMocha now to hire PL SQL developers of class!
1. What questions should I ask a PL SQL Developer?
Ask questions on database management, packages, PL SQL blocks, objects, tuning, etc., while hiring basic-level developers. For experienced developers, ask about PL SQL keywords, syntaxes, debugging codes, procedures, etc.
2. How much time is required to hire PL SQL Developer?
If you use an efficient talent acquisition tool, you can start the recruitment process and make the hire in 3-5 days.
3. How much does it cost to hire a Freelance PL SQL developer?
Freelance PL SQL developers charge anywhere between $25 to $75 per hour.
Wondering how to identify critical skills for organizational growth? Talk to our experts to learn how we enable Capgemini, Cognizant, TCS, Fujitsu and other global organizations to do so!