Wondering how to test technical skills and hire high potential candidates? Well, you're not alone.
According to the Talent Board’s Candidate Experience Research report, 82% of companies actively use a pre-employment assessment test.
Even on the developer's side, the most preferred assessment method was a technical test with practical coding questions:
So, we’ve put together a guide for you that details everything related to technical assessment tests and how you can administer them – and create a great experience for your candidates.
What Is Technical Assessment Software?
Technical assessment software helps screen and test the technical competencies of candidates for roles such as engineers, programmers, and developers. The assessment strategies can encompass quick reply formats, multiple-choice, guided coding exercises, and more.
The software uses a variety of tools and technical skills tests to measure a candidate's proficiency in specific technical areas. So even if recruiters don't have any technical background, they can access valuable candidate insights about their technical proficiency to make informed hiring decisions.
Whether hiring managers wish to streamline their recruitment process or attract the best tech talent in the industry, technical assessment software can come in handy.
Still assessing coding skills with MCQs and objective-type questions? Conduct in-depth skills assessment with iMocha and determine your candidate's weaknesses, strengths, and benchmark against industry level.
Importance of Technical Assessment Software
Technical assessment software is an important tool for organizations looking to hire the right candidates for technical positions. Here are its advantages:
Technical Assessment Software Feature
Benefit to the Organization
Types of Technical Assessment Software
1. Coding Assessment Software
Coding assessment software is designed to evaluate a candidate's coding skills.
The software may also include tools for automating the evaluation of the candidate's code, such as syntax highlighting and error checking.
Useful for: Employers to screen job candidates, especially for technical roles such as software development
2. Technical Skills Assessment Software
Technical skills assessment software, on the other hand, evaluates a candidate's technical skills across a broad range of topics.
This software typically includes a series of questions or exercises that test the candidate's knowledge of various technical subjects, such as networking, databases, operating systems, and programming languages.
The software may also include tools for tracking the candidate's progress and generating reports on their performance.
Useful for: Employers who want to identify skill gaps in their employees or screen job candidates for technical roles
5 Features to Consider When Choosing Technical Assessment Software
1. Test Design and Customization
When choosing a technical assessment software, it is important to consider its ability to design and customize tests to match your organization's needs.
A good technical assessment software should allow you to:
- Create questions that accurately reflect the skills you want to test
- Access various question types, such as coding challenges, multiple-choice questions, and open-ended responses
- Customize the test such as adding branding, multimedia, and personalized feedback
2. Flexibility and Scalability
The software should be able to:
- Handle multiple users and tests simultaneously
- Offer enough flexibility in terms of handling testing scenarios and multiple question types
- Scale as your organization grows
3. Integration and Interoperability
Ensure that the technical assessment software can integrate with your existing HR software, learning management systems, and applicant tracking systems.
It will make it easier to manage the testing process and streamline the hiring process. In addition, the software should also be interoperable with other tools and platforms that the organization uses.
4. Analytics and Reporting
A robust technical assessment software should provide analytics and reporting that allows you to:
- Evaluate test results, measure performance, and identify areas for improvement
- Leverage detailed reporting on individual and group performance
- Access insights and data that can be used to identify trends and make data-driven decisions
5. Security and Reliability
In terms of security and reliability, the software should:
- Provide a secure testing environment that protects sensitive data and intellectual property
- Be reliable and ensure that the testing process is consistent and fair for all candidates
- Be compliant with data protection regulations and follow industry best practices for security and privacy
Best Practices for Selecting Online Technical Assessment Software
1. Define your assessment objectives
Before selecting any online technical assessment software, defining your assessment objectives is important.
Start by identifying:
- What skills and knowledge do you want to assess in the candidates
- What types of questions do you want to ask
- How do you want to evaluate the responses
Pro tip: It is important to be clear on your assessment objectives so that you can choose the software that aligns with your goals.
2. Involve stakeholders in the selection process
It is important to involve all stakeholders in the selection process, including HR, recruiters, hiring managers, and technical teams.
This helps ensure:
- Everyone's needs are considered
- The software selected meets the requirements of all stakeholders
- Everyone is on board with the new software and will use it effectively
3. Evaluate the user experience
The software should be intuitive and easy to use for both the candidates and the evaluators. Plus, the platform should be visually appealing, responsive and should not have any bugs or glitches.
Pro tip: It is also important to ensure that the software is accessible to all users, including those with disabilities.
4. Research and compare software solutions
This step is all about researching and comparing different software solutions to find the one that best meets your needs.
Make sure to:
- Read reviews
- Talk to other companies who have used the software
- Compare features and pricing
- Consider the vendor's reputation, customer support, and security protocols
5. Test the software before purchasing
Before purchasing any online technical assessment software, it is important to test it to ensure it meets your needs.
To do this, set up a demo or trial account and run a few tests to evaluate the software's features, usability, and performance. This will help recruiters to make an informed decision about whether the software is the right fit for their organization.
Popular Technical Assessment Tools
iMocha is a pre-employment testing platform that allows recruiters to assess a candidate's technical aptitude with a wide variety of coding tests across domains such as programming, database management, cybersecurity, software testing, and more.
- AI-LogicBox: AI-LogicBox is an innovative pseudo-coding platform to assess developers, architects, or tech consultants for technical skills where online compilers aren't available. It is faster and smarter than regular coding assessments as it focuses on logic implementation and creativity rather than syntax. iMocha's AI-LogicBox repository has over 1500 questions, including data skills, quality engineering, enterprise application, infrastructure management, cyber security, application development, and more.
- Coding simulations: iMocha's Coding Simulation feature allows candidates to write code in a simulated environment that closely resembles the actual coding environment. It enables employers to evaluate candidates' coding skills in a controlled environment without setting up complex coding challenges. The coding simulator is also an excellent tool for testing a candidate's ability to debug code and identify errors, a critical skill for any programmer.
- Live coding interview feature: You can hire the best coders with Live Coding Interview and remotely assess the candidate’s programming and problem-solving skills in real-time.
Technical assessments? Check! One-way video interviews? Check! Live Coding Interview? Check! Whiteboard assessments? Check! Custom assessments for your open job roles? Check! iMocha offers all!
HackerRank is a technical skills assessment tool that offers a wide range of coding challenges and exercises for developers, as well as technical skills assessments for hiring companies.
Here are some of the top features of HackerRank as a technical skills assessment tool:
- Extensive library of coding challenges: HackerRank offers a vast library of coding challenges covering different topics and programming languages, including algorithms, data structures, database design, and system design.
- Customizable assessments: Companies can create custom assessments with specific skills requirements, test durations, and difficulty levels.
- Real-time coding environment: HackerRank provides a real-time coding environment that allows developers to write, compile, and run their code within the platform using a variety of programming languages.
- Candidate dashboard: HackerRank provides a candidate dashboard that displays their progress, scores, and feedback on completed challenges and assessments.
- Driving tests in several categories, including coding, data science, web development, and software engineering.
- Each test can be designed to assess the candidate's technical skills, problem-solving ability, and aptitude.
- Ability to create custom tests and invite candidates to take the test remotely or in person.
- Offers automated test evaluation, which saves time and resources for hiring managers
- Provides detailed reports on each candidate's performance, which helps recruiters to make informed hiring decisions
How to Test Technical Skills Using Technical Assessment Software?
By now, we've established how testing technical skills using technical assessment software is a reliable and efficient way to evaluate a candidate's abilities in a particular domain.
Now, let's look at a few steps to follow when conducting technical assessments using software:
- Define the technical skills you want to evaluate before administering the test. This will help you select the appropriate assessment software and create test questions relevant to the skills you want to evaluate.
- Choose the right technical assessment software-one that suits your needs.
- Based on the technical skills you want to evaluate, create test questions that are relevant and challenging. Ensure that the questions are clear and concise, and test the specific skills you want to assess.
- Use the technical assessment software to set up the test and provide instructions to the candidates. Ensure that the test is time-bound and that the software is configured to auto-grade the test once the time is up.
- After the candidates have completed the test, review the results and assess their technical skills based on the scores. Identify areas where the candidates performed well and those where they need improvement.
- Provide feedback to the candidates on their test scores and offer suggestions on how they can improve their technical skills.
Technical assessment software can be a valuable tool in assessing a candidate's technical skills, but it's essential to use it appropriately and evaluate the results objectively.
When selecting the best technical assessment software, consider several factors, such as the type of assessments offered, the level of customization and flexibility, ease of use, security features, pricing, and customer support. It's also important to consider the specific needs of your organization and ensure that the software aligns with your goals and objectives.
Wondering how to get your candidates to take assessments? Make them fun! Use iMocha's Coding-in-the-blanks, patented tool to create a holistic experience for your candidates and save time!
What does technical assessment include?
A technical assessment evaluates an individual's technical skills and knowledge in a particular field or subject. It typically includes a range of tasks and questions designed to test an individual's practical abilities, problem-solving skills, and theoretical knowledge. Technical assessments can vary depending on the industry or profession but can involve coding challenges, technical writing assignments, or troubleshooting scenarios.
What does technical skills assessment software do?
Technical skills assessment software is a tool that can be used to automate the technical assessment process. These software solutions typically use a combination of artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms to evaluate an individual's technical skills and knowledge. Some software solutions may also provide detailed analytics and feedback to help individuals improve their skills.
Which is the best technical assessment software?
There are many technical assessment software options available on the market, but the best one will depend on your specific needs and requirements. Some popular options include iMocha, HackerRank, TestDome, etc. However, it's important to evaluate each software solution carefully to ensure it meets your unique technical assessment needs.